11/02/2004

Election Watch


Surprisingly, Syrian TV started special live coverage of the American elections, with analyses, discussions, interviews with correspondents and journalists from Syria and the US, and also an elegant news ticker running at the bottom of the screen all the time! For those who do not think this as an improvement in our national screen's news covergae, be reminded that last year, while Baghdad was falling and TV stations all around the world were airing the event, Syrian TV preferred to broadcast a documentary about Islamic Architecture.

Anyway, all Syrians are closely watching the elections today. But most of them either do not care about who will win or want a Kerry victory; and nobody, absolutely nobody, wants Bush to win. It's not only about his notorious image as the one who invaded Iraq and gave unprecedented support to the Butcher of Israel. The general feeling here is that if Bush wins, he will increase pressure on Syria, impose tougher sanctions or even use military force. Of course, Kerry will not necessarily be better, and no one actually expects him to change US policy on issues like Iraq and Palestine. But there can be nobody worse than Bush, Syrian supporters of Kerry simply argue. I agree.

2 comments:

Rafeed said...

Dear Brother Ayman ....
I do not know wether I can consider this elegant news Bar as an improvement in our defective Media Policy ....
specailly when I remeber that this elegant bar was broadcasting news like :
" Bush will lose the elections , the hatred towrad him is sky high "
" all the evidences indicate that Mr Kerry surpass Bush "
and so on ...
I mean it is just silly tawdy .. it does not reflect radical or fundamental changes in our official informative mentality .
any way .. I would like to thank you for this great job ... really it is great .. when I feel homesick ... I do not waste time , I surf directly to Damascus-online.com and this blog ...
Rafeed

Anonymous said...

I've just found your blog and enjoy the beautiful pictures. I'm sorry you have no use for my President, G.W. Bush. I, however feel just the opposite. I look forward to seeing American M1 Abrams tanks roll through your terror training state. The only reason Israel hasn't destroyed all arab nations with it's nukes is because my country won't let them. Muslims are behind almost every conflict in the world today. Face the facts.